Suggestions please?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by cb.powell.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mcginj
      Participant

I am underway in building three 8’6″ 6wt fly rods for my son in laws as a 2024 Xmas gift, and want to include a fly box with flies with the rods. Like me, all three are beginners in fly fishing! My question for this group, if you had one fly box suggestion for a beginner, what flies (thinking several of each type so lets make this top 12 with four each), what would you put in that fly box? They live in OH, PA, and the third is Military and currently in CA. I am also putting together a leader wallet, so I can hopefully have rigs for dry, nymphs, and streamers! I want to build the rods, tubes, leaders, and flies for the fly boxes. Suggestions welcome on what I should plan on tying for them! Thanks!!

cb.powell
        Participant

This is a great question,, I remember someone telling me once they only needed 6 flies for the entire country ,, wish i could remember what they said…
          My uneducated opinion would be generalist flies that cover several insect types and stages..
          dry fly – parachute adams, elk hair caddis in several colors, Ant pattern and a couple of hoppers .. my experience is Schroeders hopper out fishes the others 10 to 1
          Nymph fly – hares ear, pheasant tail , and RS2
          Streamer – wooly bugger types and some leeches
          You should plan on a couple sizes of each and some bead head some not on the wet fly selections…
          Google most popular and easy to tie and see what you come up with..
          Many experienced fishermen will tell you it is the size and profile of the fly, and the presentation more than perfect replication of what they are eating.. of course some waters are more technical than others,, really depends on where you are, but always feed em what they are eating…..
          Maybe see you at the meeting tomorrow,
          Let me know if you want to borrow my rod turner….
          Christopher Powell

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.